As well as being my birthday, 28th May was also the annual Railex show, organised by Risborough & District MRC.
Held each year on the May bank holiday weekend, the show attracts some of the finest model railway layouts in the country, offering a blend of high quality layouts and a host of traders to support the show. It is usually in my experience well worth attending, this year being the second year attending it.
Layouts in attendance this year included:
- Denton Brook, O & 0-14 Gauge, Exhibited by Giles Favell
- Harlyn Pier, O Gauge, Exhibited by Peter Beckley
- Pavilion End, O Gauge, Exhibited by David Hagger
- Tollesbury Quay, O Gauge, Exhibited by Martin Stringer
- Pempoul, 18.2mm Gauge, Exhibited by Gordon & Maggie Gravett
- Boot, 3/4inch Gauge, Exhibited by Peter Kazer
- Tresparrett Wharf, 22.45mm Gauge, Exhibited by Maurice Hopper
- Trowland, 22.45mm Gauge, Exhibited by Trevor Nunn
- Bishops Quay, OO Gauge, Exhibited by Bridgend Model Railway Group
- Devil’s Bridge, OO9 Gauge, Exhibited by Eddie & Rachael Field
- Horfield 1955-1961, OO Gauge, Exhibited by Horfield Group (Bournemouth)
- Kirkmellington, EM Gauge, Graham & Tony Bucknell
- Leeman Road (York) 1964, P4 Gauge, Exhibited by John Shaw
- Sidmouth, P4 Gauge, Exhibited by Richard Harper
- Westcliff, EM Gauge, Exhibited by Richard Butler
- Heybridge Wharf, 14.2mm Gauge, Exhibited by Mike Corp
- Fence Houses, 9.42mm Gauge, Exhibited by Bob Jones & The Fence Houses Team
- Hallam Town, 9.42mm Gauge, Exhibited by Alan Whitehouse
- William Smith’s Wharf, 9.42mm Gauge, Jerry Clifford
Highlights for the show for me were Kirkmellington and Sidmouth. Pempoul was also rather excellent, in its last outing.
The day seemed to go by pretty quickly as I spent a good amount of time chatting with various traders there as well as other DEMU and RMWeb members present at the show.
I managed to pick up some more Replica Mk1 coach bodies (rejected seconds due to too much flex in the plastic) for a pretty good price, and some more MJT etches from Dart Castings. I also picked up yet more books at the show. I should hopefully now have enough bodies and etched sides to create the following units:
- BR 4EPB
- BR 2HAP
- BR 4VEP – plus MJT cabs (though I might look at modifying a Replica MLV cab to represent the fibrglass cab with the recessed jumper cables).
- BR 2EPB
When Dart Castings have stock I intend to pick up some etched sides for doing a refurbished 4CEP and a 3H unit, again using the Replica bodies as donors.
All in, another excellent show and I look forward to next year.
I’ve yet to process the photos taken that day, but will upload to Flickr and update here in due course, probably by the weekend as I have DEMU Showcase photos to process too.